Named “Chorley Street”, it is close to the village of Ovillers – La Boiselle and not far from where the Thiepval Memorial stands today. It was found almost by accident by Chorley in The Great War member, Graham Hough. He was walking the Somme trench line from Fricourt to Thiepval in June, aided by a WW1 digital mapping software app, when a range of trenches with local names appeared on his Smartphone.
Chorley Street trench was part of the British front line called “The Nab” and was probably named by local men who served there in late 1915, as there are other trenches called Bamber Bridge Street and Horwich Street near-by.
Further research indicates that the trenches were originally dug by the French and Graham Hough thinks that they were named / re-named by members of the Chorley Terriers whose Battalion War Diary records the unit being there in December 1915.
He would also like to find out if ‘The Nab’ was named by them after Healey Nab which overlooks Chorley.